The CAF Centre of KDZ is the first point of contact for all questions concerning the Common Assessment Framework (CAF). The Austrian Federal Ministry of Arts, Culture, Civil Service and Sports has appointed the KDZ as the Austrian CAF Centre and is thus responsible for the information and support of CAF users and interested parties. Furthermore, the CAF -Centre of KDZ acts as international advisor for the implementation of the CAF in all public sector organisations worldwide.
What is CAF?
CAF is the European Common Assessment Framework for better Quality in Public Administration. The CAF improves public sector organizations through self-assessment and contributes to Good Governance.
With the CAF assessment questionnaire, employees and managers review their own organization and jointly define strengths and potentials for improvement. This self-assessment leads to a continuous improvement that permanently develops the quality of the organization. In the meantime, CAF is recognized as tool for Public Administration Reform in Europe. Through the intensive involvement of employees, the CAF enables sustainable change in the organization.
The CAF model has nine criteria that define modern public management and good governance. These include the topics of leadership, personnel, partnerships, budget, knowledge, IT, processes, citizens and customers, social responsibility and key performance. The fifth version of the CAF, CAF2020, was released at the end of 2019. The CAF thrives on bench learning and the exchange of experiences with the European CAF users. This is the responsibility of the European Public Administration Network (EUPAN), which initiated the CAF in 1998.
More information about the European CAF network and users: www.caf-network.eu
Video - What is the Common assessment framework (CAF)?
"CAF-online" is the online tool for efficiently performing a CAF self-assessment in your organization! - This online questionnaire guides the members of the self-assessment group step by step through the individual assessment process. Finally, the results are automatically summarized and clearly prepared for the further workshops.
In addition to intuitive operation, CAF-online offers high data security and guarantees anonymity for the participants of the individual assessment. CAF-online contains meaningful explanatory texts on the criteria and sub-criteria, as well as an extensive CAF glossary and a detailed user guide. In addition to German and English, CAF-online is also available in many other languages.
Want to know what CAF-online looks like and works? Try the CAF2020 demo version here free of charge.
CAF-online - Free Demo-Version
- CAF-online Tool - Service Costs 2020
- CAF-online User Guide V 1.2
CAF Label - Effective CAF-User
certify the high level quality and efficiency of your own organization!
After the implementation of the CAF, public sector organizations can apply for the CAF-Label "Effective CAF-User" from the CAF Centre of KDZ. The CAF-Label is a certification for excellent and innovative public organizations that is recognised at European and international level.
The CAF-Label guarantees high quality and service orientation as well as an efficient administrative organisation torwards your interest groups (citizens, customers, suppliers, etc. )
Two experienced public sector experts analyse the organization, provide comprehensive feedback for further development and award the organization with the CAF-Label.
The formal requirements for the CAF-Label "Effective CAF-User":
- Implementation of the CAF program according to the standards
- Applications submitted between 6 and 12 months after the self-assessment
- Correct implementation of the self-assessment
- Proof of the start of continuous improvement
- Proof of maturity of the organisation
You can find an overview of the awarded organizations at www.caf-network.eu.
- The CAF-Label - Guide for applicants: CAF - Professional Extern Feedback (PEF) - Brochure
- CAF-Label Questionnairies: Self-assessment process / Improvement actions / Maturity of the Organisation
As co-developer of the Common Assessment Framework and with more than 20 years of experience in the implementation of approximately 300 CAF programs in municipalities, state and federal institutions, public enterprises and in the non-profit sector, we have developed special CAF services. With the right project approach, we support you to set up a quality management system with the Common Assessment Framework and anchor a continuous improvement process in your organization.
Our powerful methodology builds on evidence-based facts, creates solutions and a unique drive for improvement and change in your organization:
- CAF Free – all information about CAF as well as an initial free consultation how we can best implement CAF in your organization.
- CAF Starter – Do you want a qualified assessment of the status of your organization, quickly, concisely and with low costs? Then use CAF Starter.
- CAF Compact – Do you want a common view on your organization with your management team and create a common understanding of the necessary further development steps? Use CAF Compact to lead key strategic objectives into implementation.
- CAF Plus – Do you want to roll out the full CAF program in your organization and introduce the CAF quality management system according to the recognized standards? With CAF Plus, we guide you through the entire CAF program and prepare you for the CAF-Label “Effective CAF User”.
Want to know more? Make an appointment with us.
The CAF Centre of KDZ has carried out the following CAF implementations, among others:
- Federal Ministry Republic of Austria – Arts, Culture, Civil Service and Sport
- ABC Defense Center
- Kommando Streitkräfte - Federal Ministry of Defence
- Government of Styria
- Government of Tirol
- Court of Auditors of Lower Austria, Styria, Carinthia
- Municipalities: Lassee, Pressbaum, Zwentendorf, Gratwein-Straßengel
- Life Aid Associations: Ennstal, Bruck-Kapfenberg, Leoben
- Association of municipalities for waste disposal of Schwechat
- EU-Agency „eu-LISA“
- Slovak Office of Standards, Metrology and Testing
- Ministry of Agriculture, Bhutan
- Committee of the Regions of the European Union
- ReSPA - Regional School of Public Administration
- Ministry of Public Administration Montenegro
- Ministry of Public Administration and Local Self-Government of Serbia
- Statistic Institute of Republic of Srpska, Bosnia Herzegovina
- Civil Service Agency, Bosnia Herzegovina
- Municipality of Bihac, Bosnia Herzegovina
- Municipality of Zivinice, Bosnia Herzegovina